- Job Description:The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.We are currently seeking a skilled and experienced Sr. Volunteer Services Specialist to support the Western NC Region. This position will be based in our Asheville, North Carolina Chapter.This position would not only focus on the recruitment and engagement of volunteers regionally, but support the Regional Volunteer Services Officer in building a robust volunteer base. This individual needs to have a solid understanding of the importance of working in an employee/volunteer environment. The selected hire would assist the region in increasing capacity of volunteers from a broader service range of skills and experiences.You MUST be willing to travel frequently throughout the western side of the state. A valid Driver's License is required!Job Summary:Responsible for identifying and developing volunteer initiatives to increase Red Cross visibility in the community. Assist in implementing and executing programs, projects and initiatives to increase and strengthen the engagement of volunteers in assigned geographic territory. Work closely with Volunteer Center of Expertise leaders in the execution and implementation of specific programs and service delivery with the Region’s jurisdiction. Advances assigned program and services to meet regional/chapter goals and objectives. Represents Red Cross on key volunteer engagements and serve as liaison between Volunteer Center of Expertise and key volunteer leaders.Responsibilities:
• Staff & Volunteer Management: Lead and Support all staff (paid and volunteer) in volunteer recruitment efforts. Manage teams of volunteers to support youth programs and support Volunteer Center of Expertise intake process.
• Event Planning & Support: Lead & support non-exempt Volunteer Services staff with volunteer recognition events. Support Disaster Cycle Services with Event Based Volunteer planning and execution
• Relationship Management & Community Outreach: Lead & support non-exempt Volunteer Services staff with outreach and recruitment of volunteers. Support Volunteer Services Officer in volunteer HR issues.
• Program Management: Lead & support Volunteer Services program with metric analysis (be a Volunteer Connection “Super User”).
Education: Bachelor’s degree or combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background
Experience: Minimum 5 to 7 years of experience implementing and advancing social service programs. Ability to interpret program trends, results, related data, and budget information to formulate recommendations. Demonstrated experience with managing multiple priorities.
Management Experience: Prefer minimum 6 months’ supervisory experience
Skills and Abilities: Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills. Develops project plans & participates in budget preparation. Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of community programs or services. Maintains confidentiality; works with integrity and ethically. Demonstrated ability in creating presentations and developing training modules.
Other: Intermediate proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Travel: May involve travel.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements: Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work Conditions: Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.If this sounds like the kind of opportunity that you've been waiting for, please apply at:
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.