Recreational equipment manufactured by companies from across Western North Carolina will be available for free hands-on demos;
family-friendly event also features local beer, games, gear clinics and more
It’s time to get in gear for spring! The Outdoor Gear Builders of Western North Carolina announces the inaugural Get in Gear Fest, a free event on Saturday, March 21, 12 – 4 p.m., at RiverLink Park in Asheville. The family-friendly festival will feature product demos, gear clinics, beer from local breweries, raffles, races and more. A portion of proceeds from beer sales will directly support the work of RiverLink, a local nonprofit that works to revitalize the French Broad River.
The Outdoor Gear Builders of WNC is a spirited network of gear manufacturers from across the mountain and foothill region who make products for all types of outdoor endeavors, such as climbing, caving, camping, biking, hiking, running and more. The Get in Gear Fest offers locals a chance to meet and learn more from those who design and create the products. Festival-goers are encouraged to get hands-on with the gear at demonstrations and clinics hosted by the members of the organization.
Those with a competitive spirit should come prepared to contend in a game of tug-of-war – who dares to don locally made harnesses and pull a Subaru loaded with locally manufactured camping gear? Try your hand at shooting an all-grown-up slingshot, made in WNC, or paddle down the French Broad River using kayaks manufactured in Fletcher. There’ll be a pump track for cycling enthusiasts, a camping village, a live auction of outdoor experiences, and much more – all featuring the outdoor recreational products and companies from right here in Western North Carolina.
The Get in Gear Fest will have beer from seven local breweries and will host an array of food trucks to satisfy hungry guests. The event will take place rain or shine at RiverLink Park, located on the French Broad River at 144 Riverside Dr., in Asheville.
“The Blue Ridge Mountains are a mecca for hikers, bikers and paddlers alike, but not everyone realizes just how much of the adventure gear they’re using is manufactured right in Western North Carolina,” says Kyle Mundt, Director of Marketing and New Product Development for SylvanSport in Brevard and one of the founders of the Outdoor Gear Builders. “This event is a chance for these great companies to show what’s new for 2015.”
A partial list of members of the Outdoor Gear Builders of WNC featured at the Get In Gear Fest includes:
· Astral - Asheville-based company making personal flotation devices and shoes
· Bellyak - Weaverville-based company making lay-on-top kayaks
· Cane Creek – Fletcher-based company making cycling components
· Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO) – Asheville-based company making hammocks
· GoWorx - Asheville-based company making mounts and accessories for GoPro cameras
· Industry Nine – West Asheville-based company making cycling components
· LightHeart Gear – Fletcher-based company making ultralight tents
· Legacy Paddlesports – Fletcher-based company making whitewater and fishing kayaks
· Misty Mountain – Banner Elk-based company making climbing harnesses
· Outrider USA – Fletcher-based company making on- and off-road electric-assist trikes
· Recover Brands – Hickory-based company making 100 percent recycled apparel and performance ware
· Rightline Gear – Arden-based company making car-top carrier bags and truck tents
· SimpleShot Shooting Sports – Candler-based company making slingshots
· Swaygo Gear – Asheville-based company making caving gear
· SylvanSport – Brevard-based company making adventure campers and trailers
· TerraForma Outdoor Solutions – Candler-based company making self-leveling chairs
· Watershed – Asheville-based company making waterproof bags and backpacks
Festival-goers are encouraged to bring their Love Asheville: Go Local Card and receive special offers from the gear builders. For more information on the festival, visit www.outdoorgearbuilders.com/gearfest or the event Facebook page: http://on.fb.me/1E5TriI.
More about 2015 Get In Gear Fest
The 2015 Get in Gear Fest is made possible by the support of these local companies and organizations: AdvantageWest, Brevard Brewing Company, Catawba Brewing Company, Darby Communications, Highland Brewing Company, JB Media Group, New Belgium Brewing Company, Oskar Blues Brewery, Prestige Subaru, Wicked Weed Brewing, 98.1 The River, 105.9 The Mountain, and others.
About Outdoor Gear Builders of Western North Carolina
The Outdoor Gear Builders of Western North Carolina (OGB) is an organization of Western North Carolina companies collaborating to share talents, encourage ideas and inspire each other. Member brands are dedicated to creating exceptional outdoor gear with a focus on responsible manufacturing, cutting edge innovation and economic growth in our region. According to the Western North Carolina Outdoor Industry Manufacturing Census, the area has 26 gear manufacturers providing 470 jobs and more than $6 million in local sourcing. Due to the abundant resources and talent pool in this region, the outdoor industry sector continues to grow rapidly with new gear manufacturers continually joining the Outdoor Gear Builders network.
OGB is supported by AdvantageWest through funding from the U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA). As the regional economic development nonprofit serving 23 counties of Western North Carolina, AdvantageWest helped spearhead the creation of the Outdoor Gear Builders of WNC as part of the EDA-funded WNC AgriVentures grant. For more information on the Outdoor Gear Builders of Western North Carolina, visit http://outdoorgearbuilders.com/
Post a Comment