For the fourth straight year, the Hunter Subaru LPC Throwback Triathlon brings nostalgia and competition in three athletic disciplines to rural Henderson County. In celebration and memory of the beginnings of triathlon’s popularity in the U.S. in the 1970s, this race features a “retro” theme, and participants are encouraged to get creative and race in their best thrift shop wardrobes.
- Sunday, August 2nd, 2015 at 8:00 a.m. is the main event triathlon and Kid's Splash and Dash at approximately 10:30 a.m.
- Leila Patterson Center, 1111 Howard Gap Road, Fletcher, NC
- The triathlon begins with a 200 yard pool swim at the LPC Aquatics Center pool, featuring time-trial starts with the fastest swimmers going first. The 17.5 mile bike route is by far one of the most beautiful in the area, and will challenge athletes’ mental fortitude and fitness as they battle gravity on Fletcher’s backroad hill climbs. A challenging 5k run will follow, taking participants through some of Fletcher’s prettiest country roads, presenting some very tough hills along the way, before concluding the triathlon with an on-track sprint to the finish. Participants may opt to complete the legs of the competition as either individuals, or two- or three-person relay teams.
Starting at approximately 10:30 a.m. at the Lelia Patterson Center in Fletcher, NC, the LPC Kid’s Splash N’ Dash is designed to promote active, healthy lifestyles for youth in the area by introducing them to multi-sport events. These events will consist of age-dependent swim and run distances in an aquathlon multi-sport format. Depending upon the age and experience of athletes, competitors will be divided into (9 years & younger), (ages 10-12 & Novices aged 12-15), and athletes (12-15 years old & experienced younger kids). Participating youth will receive a t-shirt, finisher’s medal, goodies, and food at the event.
- Online- pre-registration for the event is available at imathlete.com. On-site registration will be made available at packet pick-up on Friday at the Lelia Patterson Center, Saturday at Hunter Subaru and on Sunday - race morning at the Lelia Patterson Center.
- Our site host for the event, Fletcher’s Leila Patterson Fitness Center offers a wide variety of fitness enhancing options to Henderson County. With advanced cardio and weight equipment, an indoor track, junior Olympic pool, on-site massage, personal training, and more, they present strength, aerobic, and therapeutic modalities suitable for individuals pursuing virtually any kind of physical health objective.
for this event to assist us with a number of race day tasks. Interested parties may signup online through the RaceIt link on the LPC Tri site page or by e-mailing us directly.